11 March, 2013

SHOPPING GUIDE: Transitioning to Raw.

Transitioning to raw, has been so enjoyable, but this weekend, man, I did not feel like cooking (well not cooking, but being in the kitchen assembling meals), and we slipped backwards, but have picked up where we left off today. I did make a soup for supper, but it was mainly to use up leftover vegetables and some roast chicken (Dan's grandma gave it to us because she couldn't finish it). But even with having soup for supper, and the rest fresh fruits and vegetables and nut butter, that is a big victory compared to the processed diet we were eating just a week ago. I thought it would be nice to share with you all that are interested in going raw, what I am keeping stocked up in the house during the week.

Fruits:
Oranges (around 8-10 pounds)
Grapefruit (4-6 grapefruits)
Apples (6-8 pounds)
Honeydew Melon (2-4 melons)
Watermelon (the biggest one that I can find)
Blueberries (4-6 cartons)
Kiwi (16 kiwis)
Strawberries (4-6 cartons)
Raspberries (4-6 cartons)
Bananas (10 bushels, roughly 22 pounds total)
Medjool Dates (2 cartons)
Lemons (10-12 lemons)
Limes (10-12 limes)
In the freezer I have been keeping:
mixed berries, cherries, whole strawberries


Vegetables:
Carrots (I picked up 20 pounds of whole carrots this week)
Cabbage (1 savoy, 1 red)
Collard Leaves (1-2 large bunches)
Baby Spinach (roughly 2 pounds)
Avocados (12-14 avocados)
Zucchini (10-12 zucchini)
Roma Tomatoes (3-4 pounds)
Alfalfa Sprouts (1-2 cartons)
Cucumber (5-6 large cucumbers)
Bell Peppers (4 yellow, 4 green, 2 orange)
Garlic (3 heads)
Poblano Peppers (1-3 peppers)
Green Onion (1-2 bunches)
Broccoli (1-2 heads)
Celery (2-4 bunches)

Fresh herbs:
I try to keep a few bunches of mint and cilantro to boost flavors in salads, juices, and ice water.

Nuts:
Raw Almonds (1 pound)
Raw Cashews (1 pound)

Non-Raw Staples
Mara and Porter's taste buds are getting used to the delicious flavors of raw food, so while we are transitioning into raw I still make sure to have the following stuff in the cupboard and/or fridge:
Organic brown rice
Hardboiled eggs (organic, free range)
Black olives
Mozzarella cheese
Feta cheese
Unsweetened Almond milk
Oatmeal
Homemade applesauce

I may have forgotten a few things, but I think I covered most of it. I hope it gives you some ideas on what to buy and what to keep on hand. It's really important to make sure you are getting enough calories, we are eating all through out the day, but I will save all of that for another post soon about meals, snacks, juicing, and some tips of doing raw with little babes. We are a family of four, soon to be five, so this may seem like a lot of produce for a single person or a couple. My biggest tip right now is don't feel like you should be hungry, eat until you are full, and even if you feel hungry shortly after, eat again, fruits and vegetables are VERY low in calories. What do you keep raw in your home?

No comments:

Post a Comment